Friday, September 01, 2006

Mayberry Police Car

I saw this police car in Simpsonville today. Andy and Barney would feel right at home cruising in this Galaxy 500. Made me think about all the cars I've owned, this is a partial list:1950 Ford Pickup, 1959 Dodge Pickup, 1969 Dodge Pickup, 1972 Chevy Pickup, 1973 Chevy Pickup, 1979 Chevy Pickup, 1993 Chevy Pickup(current), 1960 Chevy 2door hardtop, 1965 Mustang notch, 1969 Mercury Montego, 1970 Olds Delta 88 2door hardtop(454,4bbl, would fly), 1972 Pinto, 1970 Fiesta(sounded like an oil can when you closed the doors), 1987 VW Cabriolet(current), 1967 Buick LeSabre(built like a tank), 1967 Triumph Spitfire(wish I had that one back), 1966 Fairlane XL. I'm sure I probably missed one or two. Each one is a story all its' own. The '66 Fairlane was my Senior High car and witnessed all the passions of my youth. The Delta 88 saw me out on my own and helped me woo and win my wife. My good friend, Cleech, bought it from me and blew the motor, bad luck hounded him all his life. I drove the Triumph to Nashville to visit a friend at Vandy and by the time I got back to Greenville 4th and reverse were the only remaining gears. We took our small chidren to Hilton Head in the Fiesta. They had to put their feet up on the luggage all the way there and back. The '69 Dodge Pickup was advertised one saturday in the paper in 1971 for $750, I ran to the door when I got there and beat two other people to it. I told the man, "If it runs and don't smoke I've got the cash." It was a non smoker. The '60 Chevy I bought with a locked up engine. When I towed it in the driveway a man followed me and offered me $100 profit, I took it and threw in the tow rope free of charge. I drive a Company vehicle now and the Cabby and Pickup mostly just sit. A reader commented recently that his dad knew Elvis in the Army in Germany. You never know what's gonna touch somebody, anyway thanks for reading.

No comments: