Thursday, October 05, 2006


I haven't talked about cars in a while so here goes. I remember that old flathead Fords had a peculiar way to mount the water pump to the engine. Two of the mounting bolts were hidden inside the inlet and outlet. It was not uncommon for rookie mechanics to literally demolish a water pump trying to get it off the motor. Older, seasoned mechanics would stand back and grin remembering the frustration they experienced the first time they were faced with the hidden bolts. My experience with this situation years ago helped me many times over the years as I learned to expect the unexpected when working on unfamiliar machines.
I heard today that the Euro Auto Show in Greenville is going to feature Triumphs this year. This brought to mind my 65 Triumph Spitfire. The car had a wooden dash and a positive ground. Real leather seats and a removable steel hardtop lined with real leather were standard. The top was heavy and awkward to remove but really kept out the weather. The Spit featured an 1147cc engine with dual sidedraft carbs. I watched tornadic winds literally lift it off the ground once during a storm and it was light enough that my freinds would amuse themselves by raising the back off the ground and let me go through the gears to see how fast I could get while sitting still. One of the few I wish I still had.

No comments: